Pakistan star Shoaib faces new chucking claims
CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand, March 1 (AFP) - Pakistan's star fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar was reported for throwing Thursday for the
second time in 16 months.
Doug Cowie and Steve Dunne, two of New Zealand's most senior umpires, queried Shoaib's action during Wednesday's one-day defeat of
New Zealand in Dunedin.
International match referee Ranjan Madugalle has referred the matter to the International Cricket Council, the game's governing body, in
But Shoaib was not expected to play in the three-Test series against New Zealand starting on March 8 as his team management said he was
unfit and would be returning to Pakistan.
"We're very disappointed with what's happened and our board will take care of the issue," tour manager Faqir Aiazzuddin said.
"At this stage there is no point in keeping him," Faqir added.
Shoaib was intially banned in December, 1999, because of a suspect bowling action following a ruling from the ICC's illegal deliveries
He had been reported by New Zealand match referee John Reid after umpires Darrell Hair of Australia and Peter Willey of England
questioned his action during Pakistan's third Test against Australia in Perth.
However, then ICC president Jagmohan Dalmiya overturned the ruling for one-day matches as he said Akhtar's suspect action only happened
when he bowled bouncers, which are illegal in limited overs matches.
The ICC then allowed the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) the final say and he was duly cleared after he underwent schooling at the Australian
Institute of Sport in Perth.
Shoaib, who shot to prominence during the 1999 World Cup, may be forced to go back to basics again as the Pakistan board will have to
review his action over the next six weeks.