Dravid confrontation 'blown out of proportion': Slater
SYDNEY, March 6 (AFP) - Michael Slater believes his on-field confrontation with Indian batsman Rahul Dravid has been "totally blown out of proportion."
The senior Test opening batsman was heavily criticised for berating Dravid during the Indian second innings of last week's first Test in Bombay when the Australian's appeal for a low diving catch was denied by the video umpire.
Slater said Dravid should have taken his word and walked and, speaking for the first time about the incident Tuesday, remained adamant he had done nothing wrong.
"My belief on this Rahul Dravid catch -- and one I did actually take -- (is it) has been totally blown out of proportion," Slater told local radio.
"It just looks so much worse on the TV than it actually was and they chose to play it and play it and just ham the whole thing up.
"If I had have said things in a very harsh manner and been swearing at the umpire or the batsman or whatever, I would have been on report and I would have been fined and all the rest of it, and that didn't happen.
"It amazes me that people don't take that as 'well, there wasn't that much in it'.
"That's exactly what it was. I'm very animated in conversation at the best of times, and I was frustrated."
Slater and Dravid reconciled their differences in the Australian dressing room after the match, which Steve Waugh's men won by 10 wickets, but Slater admitted he had been frightened to read a newspaper since the incident.
The 31-year-old said he knew he'd been getting bad press, but conceded sometimes he had to cop "the good with the bad".
"It's been hard to hear that that's being going on, but I know what was going on (on the field between Dravid and I)," he said.
"I suppose the people need to know that if I was out of control and doing and saying the wrong things ... maybe with my actions it looked like I was doing the wrong things, but what I was actually saying was very constructive and in no way abusing anyone."
Slater's case was not helped by his decision two days earlier, in Australia's first innings, to stand his ground when replays clearly showed he edged a catch to wicketkeeper Nayan Mongia.
He was given not out.
The second Test in the three-match series begins at the Eden Gardens in Calcutta on Sunday.